Water-Soluble Oil Mediums

Cobra Water Based Oils with W&N Artisan Water Soluble Mediums 

The small medium jars are impossible to open UNLESS you first pry off the lid with a flat screwdriver, essentially 'popping' the seal.  Then the lids will open as usual with a push and twist.  I twisted too hard with the first jar and the outside lid split off the plastic interior lid.

I made a chart with 'primary colors' mixed with water, thinner, painting medium and fast drying medium, each alone and then mixed (except the water for the mix).  I also added a column of the plain with a palette knife (impasto).
I will provide the drying times here, loosely. Drying times vary from color to color but I am not analyzing the specific colors; the results are 'ball-park".  Supposedly with the drying medium the paint will dry in half the time.  I need to put in a column of the impasto plus fast drying to see how fast that is.

A useful site for drying times of regular oils is here: http://filarecki.com/oil-paint-drying-times.html. The rate of drying should be proportional for water-soluble oils.  However, in general water-soluble oils do dry a little faster than traditional oils. I have read that they should be dry to the touch within 48 hours. Perhaps this is true if applied thinly or at least not impasto.

photo under daylight lamp:
water soluble medium comparison

gray scale water soluble medium comparison


Next morning after 12 hours (testing for dryness):

after 12 hours: water soluble medium comparison

I will do a close-up of one of the colors since I think this photo clearly indicate the effect of the mediums.


12 hour dryness results water soluble mediums
The plain paint patches were still damp.  I patted the paint with a paper towel and this is the result.  The ultramarine patch actually stuck to the paper towel so I removed the towel from the patch and added it to the imprint.  The column with the fast drying medium did not result in a print on the paper towel for any of the patches.  And no phthalo paint came off  on my thumb.

Three days later: some of the patches with medium were still wet to the touch (excluding the fast-dry). The drying time does vary by the pigment/color but I did not do a detailed analysis of this.

Preliminary Analysis:
Water alone.  The color seems to be more muted in the Primary magenta and the cadmium yellow medium.  (I will not use water; in fact the paint company recommends that the artist NOT use water to thin the paint.) 
Thinner: Again the color seems more muted in the Primary Magenta and the Cadmium Yellow Medium. But perhaps good for toning,
Fast drying medium (see next image):  I will use the fast drying medium to speed up the drying time when working outside.
Painting Medium: Otherwise at this point I think that the only reason to use this medium is for how it feels if working in the studio: is the paint smoother? is it easier to do details? This will take more practice.

I would like to try this with Gamblin's Solvent free gel.  It's an alkyd but actually can only be cleaned with mineral spirits so I'm not sure it's a good medium to use. The advantage for travel is that it is not a liquid. I have discovered other fast drying mediums on the market and will try them as soon as my order arrives.

And of course we need to look at final paintings. 

Popular posts from this blog

Color Wheel Revisited

(extra) Color Mixing on the web with online Apps with RGB and CMYK

(extra) Color Palette Examples