Anatomy of Land Abstraction I

This is the story of an 8x13 painting that changed completely; note that 8 and 13 are two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence (1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21, etc.). Also its aspect ratio is close to the golden mean (13/8 = 1.625, while the golden mean is 1.618...)  The original intent was to capture the colors of a southwest landscape with distant mountains. The painting was moderately successful. I had done a series of "chromatic" paintings of the southwest landscape as well as aspen-covered mountains of New Mexico. 

As I prepared for my Los Alamos show in July 2023, I wanted to change the painting to a more abstract painting emphasizing cliffs, using or imagining a dynamic symmetry armature and golden spiral grid. I used a squeegee for a new version as it is very useful in rendering straight edges.

Sequence of original painting steps:








Two years LATER (April 2023) I decided to change this 8x13 painting. 


After sanding...

Half an hour later using a squeegee to add strokes:


Land Abstraction I, 8x13, oil.


I do remember imagining the dynamic symmetry armature on it and attempting to place the squeegee at armature lines. I also 'scraped down' from the top of the hills to create the striated cliffs. I covered the vegetation. I made the hill tops more straight-edged rather than the rounded version from earlier. As mentioned above, the squeegee facilitated this. I also brightened edges of the top cliffs. I could have used the Catalyst with it's straight edges. Both the squeegee and the Catalyst wedge have long straight edges. I've more recently been experimenting with a house painter's trowel. This might have functioned also.













Popular posts from this blog

Color Wheel Revisited

(extra) Color Mixing on the web with online Apps with RGB and CMYK

(extra) Color Palette Examples