Prismatic Spectrum-Growth of a Painting

In November-December of 2020 I continued a series of High Desert Color paintings, more colorful and abstract than previous paintings. This is the tale of one of the paintings, once titled "Hope on the Horizon" to accompany the new era in our country, to illustrate hope that soon we will be able to travel again.  I find solace in painting. It's a magical life. But I changed the title to Prismatic Spectrum.

Stages of "Prismatic Spectrum (aka,Hope on the Horizon)", 9x12, oil

I. Initial Wash

The palette used is my usual Cobra Water-based Oil palette, prismatic from Cad yellow Light through different oranges and reds, mixed purple (cobalt blur plus permanent rose), blues  (cerulean blue hue, cobalt blue, ultramarine blue and greens (viridian and sap) as well as yellow ochre and burnt sienna.
A brush was used primarily for this initial wash to establish the range of values (color-based). One can see touches of paper towel in the sky.  In addition, one can see palette knife use in parts of the rest of the painting, in particular, in the mountains.
Hope on the Horizon, Step 1.

2. Steps 2-3

From this point a palette knife was used almost exclusively, layering over the initial stage..
Hope on the Horizon, Steps 2-3.

3 Step 4

I felt it need more light so I added some high-lights, effectively ruining the painting I felt; some highlights were too spotted and didn't add any light.

Hope on the Horizon, Semi-final Step


4. Final Step

At some point I painted over the highlights and two months later discovered this painting behind several others. I am calling it finished and ready for the gallery (when it opens again).

Hope on the Horizon, oil, 9x12

5. Framed


Hope on the Horizon, oil, 15x18 (framed)




 ADDENDUM: Sold in October at the Marigold Arts Gallery.




Popular posts from this blog

Color Wheel Revisited

(extra) Color Mixing on the web with online Apps with RGB and CMYK

(extra) Color Palette Examples