A Watercolor Retrospective: Part II

 8/10/19: Doing the Watercolor Part I had me thinking a lot about how perhaps to progress.  So i will continue (and finish) my Part II.  However, first I wanted to include a new Facebook post with my first watercolor in a long time:


I pulled out my watercolors and attempted a favorite scene.  Some lessons learned:

  1. Don’t forget the focal point with its dark and light contest
  2. Try again with a limited palette of familiar colors (these colors happened to be available from a old palette which happened to have many colors laid out)
  3. Try to get darks without having to go back over them.
  4. Testing adding a 4th bullet by copy and pasting the third one: I will look for the painting with the notes and add the notes here.

I found it useful to put the notes at the bottom of the painting.  They can easily be torn off.  The image is approximately in a golden mean ratio. If I like the painting I will use a frame 8x13.  Oh yes, I am going to have to deal with glass again!!

Aug 2020: We have a new interface in blogspot. It's a good thing I've been familiarizing myself with HTML. This will be a opportunity to learn more. I need to practice.
First I will try adding a couple of images of recent (2019) watercolors now using the image icon from the format bar:
I entered this last one (Storm Coming, 12x9) into the 2019 National Show by the Plein Air Painters of New Mexico. I took it to a frame shop to add glass and frame it. Using glass for paintings is an issue for me - or it was. It was one of the reasons i switched to oil. I know there's a way to varnish watercolors but I feel it takes away from the beauty of watercolor. I used my usual dark frame for this watercolor (matted). I will have to take a photo of it framed.

New Interface HTML Update: it was easy to insert images and to add text. Basically, the interface 'does the html work' when inserting an image. I can just add notes. It might look daunting but it's okay. Note that it might be of some interest to see the underlying code that is necessary to produce a web pages or a blog. The one piece of HTML code I am adding is a line break to break up the paragraphs; look for a < followed by a br and a / and a >. Then copy and paste the combination and insert between two lines. I needed to add two to create a space between tow paragraphs. I'll insert three line breaks here:


August 2020: Recently I bought some gouache paints (opaque watercolor) and hope to begin using the soon. Stay tuned.

Popular posts from this blog

Color Wheel Revisited

(extra) Color Mixing on the web with online Apps with RGB and CMYK

(extra) Color Palette Examples