Painting and meditating at Mrs. Bobb's Garden in Santa Fe. Between the famous Canyon Road and Alameda Street in Santa Fe is a 4 acre garden created by the 98 year old Mrs. Bobbs beginning in the 80's. With the help of assistants the garden is still flourishing. She and her garden are Santa Fe treasures.

I joined the Santa Fe Pleinarians to paint in the garden today, Sep 4, 2018. As I walked around the garden with wonderment that such a place could exist, I studied many potential scenes to paint. My fellow peinarians began to set up and paint, some doing sketches first. I became intrigued however with a sculpture that defies the eyes and brain:

 I decided to look up the history of Mrs Bobbs' Spiral and found this quote from npr.org (click here for full article): "Mrs. Bobbs was persuaded to dabble in the altogether unfamiliar. She now has a vibrant and colorful undulating sculpture created by Santa Fe artist Hillary Riggs, in the shape of a logarithmic spiral.
"It's all done by mathematical principles," says Mrs. Bobbs. "It's all about patterns. I've had a lovely time with it ".

I had to continue my exploration of the sculpure: as I walked around it I found mathematics on every panel, the mathematics of my dreams: Fibonacci Series, Golden Spiral, Fractals and illustrations carved in the metal of the sculpture.

MRS BOBBS' GARDEN SPIRAL SCULPTURE
Sculpted in metal with each panel in this man-made sculpture a tribute to a mathematical concept in the realm of fractals and golden spirals:

Fibonacci #s: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ... 1597


I continued to study the panels and to take photos and videos: 

Fibonacci # 45868

Golden Angle: Panel Fibonacci # 3486878



Mud cracks, honeycombs: fibonacci #s 314411 and 508729 

Fibonacci # 823140 = 314411 + 508729


Models of the Real World: Fibonacci #s 1112763870 and 17796670103
with Classic Fractals and coastlines


The last panel: I saw eternity the other night
Like a great ring of pure and endless light..
with the Mandelbrot set.

Note that the last Fibonacci number I saw on these panels was: 46,016,104,071



Throughout the garden we see specimens' illustrating mathematics in nature: spirals and fractals.




And three videos of the Spiral Sculpture:
Spiral Video Part 1:


Spiral Video Part II:


Spiral Video Part III:


And more panels:
Sunflower Seeds:

Fractal Canopies:






Last panel again with a closeup of the Mandelbrot series:






Popular posts from this blog

Color Wheel Revisited

(extra) Color Mixing on the web with online Apps with RGB and CMYK

(extra) Color Palette Examples